We’re Hiring: Grant County Community Organizer
CVNM Education Fund and Gila Resources Information Project are partnering on a joint organizing project to educate the broader public in Grant County on environmental issues that affect land, air and water. This project is a grassroots community organizing effort that works to ensure that families in Grant County have a strong voice and the power to influence local, state and national decisions that impact their health and environment.
We are seeking an hourly full-time (35 hours/week) Community Organizer to join our program team. The Organizer will be tasked with engaging and building relationships with Grant County families to take action to protect the community and local watershed from environmental impacts to land, air and water and advocate for sustainable management of local water resources. We are looking for a creative, ambitious, and goal-driven individual who enjoys working with a team, and is passionate about building collective power in rural and/or communities of color. This position is based in Silver City and the Mining District, and requires the ability to work a non-standard work week, and some evenings and weeks.
The CVNM Education Fund/GRIP program, and therefore this position, is dependent upon outside funding. Presently, the program is funded for two years. Employment in this position is at will. Download full job posting.
- Build, develop and train a base of dedicated Grant County volunteers and families that will have a long-term voice for environmental justice policies and values in the community.
- Collaborate with the CVNM Education Fund Campaigns Director and GRIP staff to identify and implement strategies that successfully recruit volunteers, build community leaders, and get the attention of decision-makers and media, including public events, press events, meetings or presentations.
- Identify new volunteers and nurture their involvement by conducting in person meetings, presentations, door to door canvassing and other outreach methods.
- Conduct leadership trainings for high-level volunteers to grow their advocacy skillset.
- Track organizing work through a database and assist with campaign reporting, as needed.
- Participate in coalition meetings related to the campaign goals and vision, as needed.
- Assist GRIP in local projects and activities, as needed.
- Comply with CVNM’s policies and procedures.
- Work effectively as a member of team, with the independence required of this position.
- Minimum 2+ years in grassroots community, issue or labor organizing programs, or in industries that engage the general public, like sales, customer service, or education.
- Experience with databases and/or Excel is a plus.
- Comfortable presenting to bi-lingual and multi-cultural audiences, and engaging or collaborating with people in both group and one-on-one settings.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to amplify the voice and leadership of communities of color in New Mexico.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity, and an interest in environmental issues that impact our air, land, water and community health.
- Must be able to work a non-standard work week, including nights and weekends on occasion.
- Must be able to learn about and implement key organizing strategies like door-to-door canvassing, phone banking and public speaking.
- Both in-state and out-of-state travel may be required, including occasional travel from Grant County to Albuquerque.
- A valid driver’s license, vehicle insurance, and reliable mode of transportation.
- Position is focused in Grant County, and organizer must be comfortable in a remote work setting and have the ability to work from home without interruption.
This is a full-time hourly position based on experience. CVNM Education Fund also offers a benefits package for full-time staff that includes vacation and sick time, as well as health, dental and vision coverage.
To apply: Please send your resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com with “Grant County Organizer” in the subject line by September 7, 2018. Position is open until filled. No calls please.
CVNM Education Fund is an equal opportunity employer. Employment with CVNM Education Fund is at will.