Communications and Outreach Specialist
Gila Resources Information Project, Silver City, NM
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Currently remote due to COVID-19; position based in Silver City, NM
Status: Part time (20 – 25 hours/week); exempt position; 6-month commitment
Compensation: $20/hour on a contract basis
About Gila Resources Information Project
Since 1998, the Gila Resources Information Project (GRiP) has worked to promote community health by protecting our environment and natural resources. By serving as a watchful guardian of our environment in southwest New Mexico, we keep an eye on activities with the potential to harm community health and our environment. In response, we bring technical, policy and legal expertise to protect our land, air, water, public lands and wildlife and ensure community resilience and quality of life. By facilitating informed public participation, we engage the public in natural resource use decisions and stewardship of our natural systems. GRIP is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
Working within a dynamic and collaborative environment, the Communications and Outreach Specialist plays an important role in promoting GRIP’s work and engaging community members in our programs. The Communications and Outreach Specialist will support GRIP’s communications needs across all of its projects and coalition work. This position will support the Executive Director and project coordinators with digital communications (social media channels, website, videos), media relations, and other communications campaigns and activities. This position will require occasional weekend and evening responsibilities and work hours.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with Executive Director and project coordinators to support daily communications, including social media channels, websites and press outreach.
- Maintain and strengthen GRIP’s brand, identity, and voice across all channels.
- Assist with development of creative and impactful ways to tell stories about our work and build a sense of connection within our community.
- Work with the Executive Director to create and implement fundraising campaigns and donor relations efforts.
- Assist in developing, writing and publishing e-news, reports, fact sheets and newsletters.
- Manage Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts on behalf of GRIP and its projects (Silver City Watershed Keepers, Cut your Waste Grant County), and coalition work i.e. Gila Conservation Coalition, Gila River Festival, Grant County Coronavirus Update Project.
- Draft media relations materials, including press releases, media advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor, talking points, and messaging.
- Develop and maintain visual communications assets, such as graphics, photos, and videos.
- 4-year college degree and minimum 1-2 years of experience in public relations, public involvement or advocacy settings.
- You are committed to protecting our environment, natural resources, and community health.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced proficiency with social media engagement including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Proficiency with web design platforms, such as WordPress and Squarespace.
- Working knowledge of email marketing software, such as Constant Contact.
- Proficiency with Canva, Adobe Creative Cloud, or other design software.
- Track record working independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects at once.
How to apply
To begin the application process, please provide a cover letter, resume, and 2 – 3 writings samples (e.g., press release, short social media guidance for a communications campaign, op-ed, blog post, etc.) to email@example.com.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled.
Thank you for your interest.